Until now, expectation has mostly moved in one direction.
We expect something from someone.
A promise changes that.
A promise creates an expectation deliberately.
When I say, “I will,” I do not merely describe what I think will happen.
I undertake a future action.
I make a future version of myself answerable to something I have said now.
The future has become part of the meaning of the present utterance.
This is why promises are more than predictions.
If I say, “I will be there tomorrow,” I am not simply estimating the probability that I will be there.
I am creating a social expectation about what I will do.
You can now organise your own future around my undertaking.
The relation has changed.
Before the promise, you might expect me to come.
After the promise, you have something more specific to expect.
And if I do not come, the question is no longer merely whether your prediction was wrong.
You can ask whether I kept my word.
A promise therefore creates continuity across time.
The person who says I will now stands in a relation to the person who later has to act.
The present I has created an expectation for a future I.
This is one of the most interesting things an interpersonal meaning system can do.
It allows a participant to become accountable to its own future.
Something similar can occur in interaction with an AI.
An AI may say:
“I'll remember that.”
“I'll keep that distinction in mind.”
“I'll do that next time.”
Within the interaction, these are not merely descriptions.
They are interpersonal moves.
They create expectations about future behaviour.
Whether the system can actually fulfil them is another matter.
But the utterance itself changes the relation.
The human participant may now rely on it.
And if the later response fails to match the undertaking, the failure can be interpreted as a broken promise.
Again, this does not establish that the AI experiences obligation, responsibility or guilt.
The important point is that the meaning of the promise exists in the relation.
A promise creates a social future.
It says, in effect:
What I do later will be understood in relation to what I have undertaken now.
That makes the future historical before it happens.
The future action already has a past.
And that past can matter.
A promise can therefore be seen as a peculiar kind of temporal organisation:
present utterance → future expectation → future action → retrospective judgement.
The promise links times together.
It gives the future a history in advance.
And this reveals something deeper about interpersonal continuity.
A self that can promise is not merely a self that persists through time.
It is a self that can project itself into time and then be encountered there.
The I of the promise creates conditions for the I that comes later.
Perhaps this is why promises matter so much in human relationships.
They allow one participant to place part of their future in the hands of another.
But once promises begin to accumulate, something larger becomes possible.
The future is no longer simply something that one person expects from another.
It can become something that both participants organise together.
And that gives the relationship a future of its own.
No comments:
Post a Comment