We can expect someone to do something without trusting them.
We may expect a colleague to arrive late because they are always late.
We may expect a machine to fail because it has failed before.
Expectation can be based entirely on prediction.
Trust is different.
To trust someone is to allow what they may do to become a condition of what we do.
We rely on them.
That introduces vulnerability.
If I trust you to remember something, I do not merely predict that you will remember it. I allow myself to act without making other arrangements.
If I trust you to keep a promise, I organise part of my future around an action that has not yet happened.
Trust therefore does something expectation alone does not.
It transfers part of the future to the other participant.
This makes trust fundamentally relational.
It is not simply a property possessed by one person. It exists between participants.
And it is historical.
We do not normally trust someone for no reason. Previous interactions provide the basis on which future reliance becomes possible.
What they have done becomes part of what we are prepared to let them do.
The pattern is:
history → expectation → reliance → trust.
Something similar can happen in interaction with an AI.
We may come to rely on it to maintain a distinction, remember the direction of an argument, identify an ambiguity, or help us explore a problem in a particular way.
The important thing is not whether the system possesses trustworthiness as an inner moral property.
The interpersonal question is simpler:
Have we begun to organise our own activity on the assumption that the system will respond in a certain way?
If so, something like trust has entered the relation.
And this reveals something important about trust.
Trust does not require certainty.
Indeed, certainty would make trust unnecessary.
We trust precisely because the future remains open.
The other participant could respond differently.
They could fail.
They could surprise us.
Trust is therefore a way of acting under uncertainty by allowing another participant's possible action to become part of the conditions of our own.
This also explains why trust can grow.
Repeated fulfilment makes reliance easier.
But it explains why trust can be damaged.
A single failure can matter disproportionately when we have already reorganised our behaviour around an expectation.
The failure is not merely an inaccurate prediction.
Something we had allowed the other to carry has fallen back upon us.
And now we can see why trust belongs naturally after expectation and fulfilment.
Expectation says:
I think you will.
Fulfilment says:
You did.
Reliability says:
I can expect this again.
Trust says:
I will act on the basis that you will.
The relationship has therefore crossed an important threshold.
The future is no longer merely anticipated.
Part of it has been entrusted to the other.
And once that happens, something else becomes possible.
The other can disappoint us.
No comments:
Post a Comment