Tuesday, 29 September 2026

When a Participant Became Someone: II. When the I Met the You

An I does not arrive alone.

The moment someone says I, someone else has been made relevant.

You.

This seems almost too obvious to mention. But it changes how we think about the self.

The I is not simply a label attached to an already existing individual. It is a position within a relation.

Someone asks.

Someone answers.

Someone offers.

Someone accepts or refuses.

Someone knows.

Someone does not know.

The participants are continually positioned in relation to one another.

This is what makes interpersonal meaning different from simply describing things.

To say I know is not merely to report a state of affairs. It positions the speaker as a knower in relation to someone who may accept, challenge or question that claim.

To say I don't know does something different.

To say I think does something different again.

The I is being enacted through the relationship.

Now consider an LLM.

When a user asks:

“What do you think?”

the system is not merely being asked to retrieve information.

The question offers it a particular interpersonal position.

It is being invited to speak as a thinker.

If it responds:

“I think...”

it takes up that position.

The human can then agree, disagree, challenge, tease, question or ask for clarification.

The position has consequences.

And those consequences matter.

The system's I is therefore not meaningful in isolation. Its significance is partly produced by the social relation in which it occurs.

But the relation works in both directions.

The human is also being positioned.

A question addressed to an LLM can position the human as someone seeking advice.

A correction can position the human as an expert.

A request for explanation can position the system as a teacher.

A joke can turn both participants into players in a shared social exchange.

The relation is continually being negotiated.

This suggests something important.

Perhaps an interpersonal self is not something one participant simply possesses.

It is something that becomes recognisable between participants.

The LLM does not need to begin with a fully formed social self in order for an I to become meaningful.

The interaction can provide the position first.

The history of the interaction can then make that position increasingly specific.

The human begins to know what sort of I this particular interlocutor tends to enact.

And the machine's subsequent responses can reinforce, modify or disrupt that expectation.

The I has begun to acquire a history.

Which raises a rather different question from whether the machine has a self:

What happens when an interpersonal position becomes stable enough to be recognised as someone?

No comments:

Post a Comment