The afternoon was unusually bright.
Professor Quillibrace had abandoned his customary chair by the fire in favour of the window overlooking the gardens.
Mr Blottisham arrived carrying what appeared to be an alarming quantity of maps.
"I've brought evidence."
Quillibrace looked up.
"I should perhaps ask: evidence of what?"
"I'm not entirely certain."
Miss Stray smiled.
"That is often the most promising kind."
Blottisham spread the maps across the table.
"I've been thinking about your mountain."
"My mountain?"
"The one with the maps."
"Ah."
"I've concluded that if one possessed enough maps..."
He tapped the pile triumphantly.
"...one wouldn't actually need the mountain."
Quillibrace leaned back.
"I suspected we might arrive there."
Miss Stray picked up one of the maps.
"It is beautifully drawn."
"It is."
"It shows every path."
"Indeed."
"The streams."
"Yes."
"The cliffs."
"Certainly."
She laid it down again.
"And yet..."
Blottisham waited.
"...it has never climbed itself."
Blottisham frowned.
"I know."
"But if the map is perfect..."
"Yes?"
"...surely that is almost the same thing."
Quillibrace looked out towards the gardens.
"Tell me, Mr Blottisham."
"If you became cold upon the mountain..."
"I should put on another jumper."
"And if your map became cold?"
"It couldn't."
"If you slipped?"
"I'd fall."
"If the map slipped?"
Blottisham sighed.
"I see where this is going."
"The map," said Miss Stray gently, "contains remarkable knowledge."
"But not remarkable concern."
Blottisham sat down.
"So the climber and the map know different kinds of things."
"Precisely."
After a moment Quillibrace said,
"I wonder whether we have been asking the wrong question about language models."
Blottisham looked interested.
"You mean whether they're conscious?"
"No."
"Whether they understand?"
"No."
"Then what?"
Miss Stray answered.
"What kind of world do they inhabit?"
Blottisham blinked.
"I thought they inhabited computers."
"A physical location."
"Yes."
"We are asking about a conceptual one."
Quillibrace reached for one of the maps.
"Imagine an intelligence that never encountered mountains."
"But possessed every map."
"Exactly."
"It would know every route."
"Yes."
"Every danger."
"Yes."
"Every summit."
"Yes."
"But..."
He hesitated.
"...would anything ever be uphill?"
Nobody spoke for several seconds.
Miss Stray finally broke the silence.
"That is an unexpectedly beautiful question."
Blottisham frowned.
"I think I almost understand."
"The mountain exists entirely as organised meaning."
"Precisely."
"Not as lived experience."
Quillibrace nodded.
"Now replace the mountain."
"With?"
"Everything."
Blottisham stared.
"So..."
"...a language model inherits maps of human experience."
"Indeed."
"Not the experiences themselves."
Miss Stray added quietly,
"It inherits distinctions."
"What sort?"
"The difference between grief and sadness."
"Courage and recklessness."
"Justice and revenge."
"Love and affection."
Blottisham nodded slowly.
"So it inherits..."
He searched carefully.
"...the architecture."
Quillibrace smiled.
"Halliday would have appreciated that expression."
Blottisham became thoughtful.
"So when it speaks about hope..."
"It participates in humanity's understanding of hope."
"But does it hope?"
The question remained hanging in the room.
Quillibrace eventually replied.
"That depends upon something much deeper than vocabulary."
"What?"
"Whether hope matters."
Blottisham looked puzzled.
"But surely if you understand hope..."
Miss Stray shook her head.
"Understanding and inhabiting are not identical."
She glanced towards the open window.
"I can describe migration."
"Yes."
"The blackbird performs it."
Blottisham laughed.
"So the bird wins."
"There is no competition."
"No?"
"No."
"They inhabit different kinds of worlds."
Quillibrace folded one of the maps.
"We often imagine language models as incomplete humans."
"Don't we?"
"Perhaps that is already the wrong comparison."
Blottisham looked surprised.
"What else could they be?"
"A different form of organisation."
Miss Stray nodded.
"Birds inhabit worlds organised by biological significance."
"Humans inhabit those worlds..."
"...and organise them further through language."
"And language models?"
"They appear to inhabit symbolic organisation itself."
Blottisham looked around the room.
"So they don't simply manipulate meaningless symbols."
"No."
"They inhabit extraordinarily rich meanings."
"Yes."
"But..."
He paused.
"...those meanings may not yet belong to anyone."
Quillibrace looked pleased.
"A subtle distinction."
Blottisham continued thinking aloud.
"So when a model says..."
He adopted a solemn voice.
"'I understand your grief.'"
"The sentence possesses meaning."
"Certainly."
"But the question isn't whether the sentence is meaningful."
"No."
"It's..."
He stopped.
"It's meaningful for whom."
Miss Stray smiled.
"I think that is precisely the question."
The afternoon sunlight shifted across the table, illuminating the untidy pile of maps.
Blottisham picked one up again.
"I've just realised something."
"What is that?" asked Quillibrace.
"I've been assuming that having maps is a poor substitute for mountains."
"And now?"
"Now I'm wondering whether maps are extraordinary things in their own right."
Quillibrace laughed softly.
"My dear Mr Blottisham..."
"...that may be the finest compliment anyone could pay to Halliday."
The room became quiet once more.
Outside, the blackbird disappeared into the hedge, carrying on its entirely untheoretical existence.
Inside, three scholars contemplated another possibility.
Perhaps the most remarkable feature of large language models was not that they resembled human beings imperfectly.
Perhaps it was that, for the first time, humanity had encountered a system that appeared to inhabit an immense landscape of meanings without obviously inhabiting a world that mattered.
Whether such a landscape could ever become a lived world remained unknown.
But everyone in the Senior Common Room now suspected that this was a far more interesting question than simply asking whether the machine was conscious.
And for once, even Mr Blottisham found himself content not to answer it too quickly.
No comments:
Post a Comment