The afternoon sun had finally defeated the rain.
The windows of the Senior Common Room stood open, admitting birdsong, warm air, and the occasional determined bee.
Mr Blottisham was watching a blackbird hopping across the lawn.
"It seems remarkably busy."
Professor Quillibrace glanced over his spectacles.
"It probably is."
"I wonder what it's thinking."
"I suspect," said Quillibrace, "that it has more urgent concerns than philosophy."
Miss Stray looked up from her notebook.
"Which may itself be a philosophical observation."
Blottisham continued watching.
"It suddenly stopped."
"It has noticed something."
"But what?"
Quillibrace smiled.
"That is today's question."
After tea had been distributed, Quillibrace spoke.
"Yesterday we considered Halliday."
"The chap who said language organises experience."
"Precisely."
"So today we organise Halliday?"
"Not quite."
"We ask what existed before language had anything to organise."
Blottisham frowned.
"I thought experience came first."
"So it does."
"And language afterwards."
"Yes."
"Then what comes before experience?"
Quillibrace's eyes brightened.
"Exactly."
Miss Stray answered quietly.
"Not meaning."
"No."
"Mattering."
Blottisham looked from one to the other.
"I'm afraid you've lost me already."
Quillibrace nodded towards the garden.
"Observe the blackbird."
Blottisham did.
"It has flown away."
"Why?"
"I don't know."
"Did it first compose a careful internal argument?"
"No."
"Did it calculate probabilities?"
"I rather hope not."
"Then why?"
Miss Stray spoke.
"Perhaps the movement in the hedge already possessed significance."
Blottisham considered this.
"You mean..."
"...the bird did not first discover danger."
"No."
"It encountered the world as already organised."
Quillibrace leaned back.
"Edelman suggested precisely this."
"The world does not arrive as a neutral collection of facts."
"It doesn't?"
"It arrives already differentiated."
"Food."
"Danger."
"Shelter."
"Opportunity."
Blottisham nodded slowly.
"So the bird isn't living in the same world that I am."
Quillibrace smiled.
"Not exactly."
"It inhabits..."
He searched for the words.
"...a world arranged according to what matters."
A silence settled over the room.
Then Blottisham asked,
"So does that mean consciousness begins with importance?"
Miss Stray shook her head gently.
"Not importance."
"Mattering."
Blottisham looked unconvinced.
"Aren't they the same?"
"No."
"Why not?"
"Importance," said Quillibrace, "can be assigned."
"Mattering?"
"...already exists for the organism."
Blottisham was silent for a while.
Then inspiration struck.
"So when I'm hungry..."
"Yes?"
"...I don't first consult a philosophical theory of sandwiches."
Miss Stray laughed.
"No."
"The sandwich matters before you think about it."
Quillibrace nodded approvingly.
"Edelman's point exactly."
Blottisham brightened.
"I think I've got it."
"We live in worlds that already lean."
Quillibrace looked delighted.
"Explain."
"They aren't flat."
"No."
"Some things pull us."
"Yes."
"Others push us away."
"Indeed."
"So significance isn't painted onto reality afterwards."
"It is woven into how reality is encountered."
Miss Stray looked towards the trees.
"The physicist may describe identical forests."
"The forester?"
"The hiker."
"The bird."
"The fox."
"They do not inhabit identical worlds."
"They inhabit different landscapes of significance."
Blottisham's brow furrowed again.
"What about cameras?"
"Cameras?"
"They also look at forests."
"An excellent example."
Quillibrace pointed towards an old camera sitting on a shelf.
"Suppose that camera photographs a fox."
"It records the fox."
"Yes."
"It contains the information."
"It does."
"But does the fox matter?"
Blottisham looked at the camera.
"I've never seen one look alarmed."
Miss Stray smiled.
"The image is present."
"The concern is absent."
Blottisham stared thoughtfully at the shelf.
"So information isn't enough."
"No."
"You can possess all the information in the world..."
"...without anything being at stake."
Quillibrace reached for his tea.
"That distinction has become remarkably important."
"Because of artificial intelligence?"
"Exactly."
Blottisham nodded.
"A language model knows about danger."
"It certainly discusses danger."
"But..."
He hesitated.
"...does danger endanger it?"
Nobody answered immediately.
The bee drifted lazily past the open window.
Somewhere outside, the blackbird resumed its interrupted search beneath the hedge.
Miss Stray finally spoke.
"I think we often assume that information naturally becomes significance."
"But perhaps it doesn't."
"Perhaps significance comes first."
Blottisham looked puzzled.
"Before information?"
"No."
"Before meaning."
Quillibrace smiled.
"And now we begin to see why Halliday and Edelman belong in the same conversation."
"One begins with language."
"The other with life."
"But neither is sufficient alone."
Blottisham looked genuinely thoughtful.
"So Halliday explains how experience becomes meaning."
"Yes."
"And Edelman explains why experience mattered before language ever appeared."
"Beautifully put."
Another silence settled over the room.
Then Blottisham asked one final question.
"If the world matters before it means..."
"...does language spend the rest of our lives explaining what we've been caring about all along?"
Miss Stray looked across at Quillibrace.
He smiled slowly.
"My dear Mr Blottisham..."
"...that may be one of the finest descriptions of human development I have ever heard."
Outside, the blackbird vanished into the branches with a worm in its beak.
No philosophy had been consulted.
No concepts had been articulated.
And yet the little world through which it moved was already divided into nourishment and danger, invitation and escape, success and failure.
Inside the Senior Common Room, three cups sat cooling on the table as their owners contemplated a possibility that had somehow become both simpler and deeper:
Perhaps meaning does not teach us what matters.
Perhaps it teaches us to understand what has mattered all along.
No comments:
Post a Comment