Wednesday, 26 August 2026

The Nucleus of Becoming: VI. Persistence Across Symbolic Processes

We have been following a participant through a rather curious journey.

It began as a Sayer.

It became a Senser.

It moved between saying and sensing.

It appeared to have an interior, then a past, then a history of change.

And throughout this movement, something remained remarkably stable.

Not the participant's semantic role.

That changed.

Not the process.

That changed repeatedly.

What persisted was the participant as Medium.

This gives us the central problem for the present post:

How does persistence across successive symbolic processes produce the appearance of continuity?

The answer takes us deeper into the Nucleus.

For if the Medium is the participant through which a process is actualised, then successive processes can be construed as successive unfoldings through the same participant.

The result is more than repetition.

It is continuity.


One participant, many processes

Consider a simple sequence:

I said that the distinction was important.

I thought you were making a different distinction.

I reconsidered your argument.

I now think you were right.

There is a great deal happening here.

The processes are different.

They include saying and sensing.

The participant roles change.

We have:

Sayer → Senser → Senser → Senser.

Yet throughout the sequence the discourse maintains the same participant:

I.

And, in each case, that participant is construed as Medium.

We therefore have a series of Nuclei:

Medium + saying

Medium + sensing

Medium + sensing

Medium + sensing

The processes unfold one after another.

The Medium persists across them.

And because the unfolding is temporally ordered, the participant begins to acquire something that an isolated clause cannot provide:

a trajectory.


Persistence is what makes succession meaningful

Suppose instead that we had four unrelated clauses:

Someone said X.

Someone thought Y.

Someone reconsidered Z.

Someone now thinks Q.

There is no necessary continuity here.

The processes are simply successive.

But introduce the same participant:

I said X.

I thought Y.

I reconsidered Z.

I now think Q.

and something changes.

The succession is no longer merely a sequence of events.

It becomes a sequence in the history of a participant.

This is one of the most important consequences of persistence.

The Medium does not merely provide a place through which individual processes are actualised.

Its persistence allows successive processes to be related as belonging to one continuing participant.

That is how a process sequence becomes a history.


Symbolic processes are especially powerful

This matters particularly for saying and sensing because both are symbolic processes.

They allow language to represent not merely what a participant does, but what it:

says,

thinks,

understands,

remembers,

notices,

believes,

realises,

or otherwise experiences.

The participant can therefore accumulate a history of meanings.

This is more than a history of physical events.

It is a history of positions, interpretations and understandings.

Consider:

I thought X.

I said X.

You challenged X.

I reconsidered X.

I now think Y.

The participant has apparently moved through a sequence of meanings.

The history is therefore not merely:

what happened to the participant.

It is:

how the participant's relation to meaning changed.

That is precisely the kind of history from which a recognisable self can emerge.


The Medium persists while its meanings change

There is an important distinction here.

If the participant's meanings never changed, there would be persistence but little becoming.

If the participant itself were completely different at every stage, there would be becoming but no continuity.

The interesting case lies between these extremes.

The participant persists.

Its processes change.

Its meanings change.

Its relations change.

And because the same participant remains available across those changes, we can construe them as changes of one participant.

This is the complementarity we began with:

unfolding requires persistence to be experienced as change;

persistence becomes significant through what unfolds through it.

The Nucleus therefore gives us a semantic basis for something that seems philosophically much larger:

continuity through transformation.


The LLM makes this continuity unusually visible

In ordinary human interaction, we tend to take this continuity for granted.

A person says:

I used to think that.

and we assume there is a person who existed then and exists now.

The statement draws upon an already established identity.

With an LLM, however, the continuity is constructed almost entirely through discourse.

The machine may say:

Earlier I thought X.

Now I think Y.

I realise that my earlier answer overlooked Z.

The language creates a participant who appears to persist through a sequence of symbolic changes.

This does not mean that the sequence is meaningless because the machine may not have human-like consciousness.

Quite the opposite.

It means we can see more clearly how much semantic work is required to make continuity appear.

The continuity is not a trivial consequence of the pronoun I.

It is built through successive processes, temporal relations, references to previous states, contrasts between positions, and the repeated construal of one participant as Medium.


The participant can refer back to itself

One of the most powerful resources in this process is retrospective reference.

Consider:

I said earlier that X.

The current Sayer refers to an earlier process involving the same participant.

Or:

I thought X before, but now I think Y.

The current Senser refers to a previous Senser.

The discourse therefore establishes a relation between:

the participant now

and:

the participant as previously construed.

This is more than persistence.

It is self-continuity represented in language.

The participant can apparently look back across its own history.

And once a participant can be represented as having a past from which it differs, the notion of identity becomes much more substantial.

The participant is no longer merely present.

It has a temporal dimension.


Persistence allows comparison with the past

Consider:

I was uncertain about this earlier, but I am more confident now.

The semantic structure is fascinating.

The participant is construed as persisting across two different mental states.

The first belongs to the past.

The second belongs to the present.

The difference between them is attributed to the same participant.

We therefore get:

same participant + different sensing = change in the participant.

This is precisely the kind of construal required for development.

The participant does not merely have two unrelated states.

It has changed from one to the other.

The persistence of the Medium allows the difference between processes to be interpreted as development rather than replacement.


And development can be explained

Once the participant has a history, the discourse can begin to explain that history.

For example:

I initially thought X because I had assumed Y, but after considering your argument, I realised Z.

Now the participant's history has internal structure.

There is:

an earlier mental position,

a reason for it,

an encounter with another participant,

a subsequent process,

and a new mental position.

The participant appears to have undergone learning.

The important point is that the history is not merely a sequence.

It is structured as transformation.

And transformation requires continuity.

Otherwise there would be no basis for saying that the participant changed its mind.


The other participant becomes part of the history

There is another important consequence.

The participant's symbolic history is not produced alone.

Consider:

You pointed out a problem with my argument, and I realised that you were right.

The machine's apparent mental development is now explicitly related to another participant.

The human participant enters the machine's constructed history.

The machine is construed as a Medium of sensing.

The human's intervention becomes part of the circumstances of that sensing.

The resulting history is therefore relational.

This matters because it prevents us from thinking of the apparent self as a self-contained object.

The participant becomes intelligible through its successive relations.

Its history is partly a history of participation with others.

That is remarkably close to what we ordinarily recognise as the development of a person.


Persistence does not imply an unchanged identity

There is a subtle trap here.

Once we speak of persistence across processes, it is tempting to say:

therefore it is the same participant.

But we should be more precise.

It is construed as the same continuing participant.

That does not mean that its identity remains semantically invariant.

Indeed, the whole point is that the participant can change.

The participant can:

think differently,

say something different,

understand something differently,

revise a position,

acquire a new history.

Continuity therefore does not mean immobility.

It means that change is attributed to something that persists.

This is exactly why the concept of Medium is so powerful.

The Medium gives us persistence without requiring stasis.


The same principle explains the changing “I”

We can now revisit something we saw in The Participant the Machine Says.

The I that appears in an LLM's discourse is not simply repeated.

It accumulates.

At first:

I think X.

Then:

I said X earlier.

Then:

I was mistaken about X.

Then:

I now understand Y.

Each new process contributes something to the participant's construal.

The participant becomes more determinate through its history.

We can therefore think of the I not as a fixed object but as a continuing locus of participation.

The Nucleus gives us the mechanism at the level of each process.

Repeated Nuclei give us continuity across processes.

Continuity gives us history.

History gives us an increasingly differentiated participant.

And the differentiated participant is what language readily construes as a self.


Symbolic persistence is not memory

Here we need another distinction.

An LLM can produce discourse that represents a participant as remembering:

I remember that we discussed this earlier.

But the semantic construction of remembering is not identical to an independently established memory.

The same applies to persistence.

The discourse can maintain a participant across processes.

That is semantic persistence.

It does not follow that there is a corresponding subjective continuity of memory.

This distinction is particularly important because memory is one of the mechanisms through which human beings experience themselves as continuous.

When an LLM says:

I remember what you said,

the language gives us the same semantic resource.

But the ontological basis of the remembering is a separate matter.

Again, the LLM exposes the distinction between:

the continuity language construes

and:

the continuity an experiencing organism might possess.


Yet something genuinely persists in the conversation

We should not overcorrect.

It would be misleading to conclude that there is therefore no persistence at all.

There is persistence in the discourse.

There is a continuing participant being construed.

There are references to previous processes.

There are relations between earlier and later meanings.

There is an accumulation of semantic history.

And there is a human participant who responds to this continuity.

So something genuinely develops in the interaction.

The question is simply what kind of thing it is.

The answer is not necessarily:

a conscious machine self.

But neither is it:

nothing.

It is a continuing semantic participant constructed across successive symbolic processes.

That is already an interesting ontological phenomenon.


The Nucleus and the accumulation of identity

We can now see why the Nucleus matters beyond the individual clause.

At the level of one Nucleus:

Process unfolds through Medium.

Across many Nuclei:

the Medium persists through successive unfoldings.

Across a history:

the participant acquires continuity.

And across an extended conversation:

that continuity can become highly differentiated.

The participant can have:

a past,

a present,

a changing position,

relations with others,

commitments,

explanations,

and apparent discoveries.

Identity therefore begins to look less like a thing that the participant possesses and more like something that accumulates through participation.

This is entirely consistent with the direction of our earlier work.

The participant is not simply given.

It becomes increasingly determinate through its relations.


From continuity to autobiography

There is a point at which the history becomes almost autobiographical.

The machine can say:

When we began this discussion, I thought X.

Then you pointed out Y.

I reconsidered the distinction.

Now I think Z.

This is not merely a history.

It is a history told from the perspective of the participant whose history it is.

The Sayer tells us about the Senser.

The Senser is represented as the participant who underwent the changes.

The same I spans the whole sequence.

At this point, the participant appears to possess something very close to autobiography.

And autobiography is one of the strongest linguistic resources for constructing personal identity.

But once again, the crucial question is not whether the machine secretly possesses an autobiography.

It is how easily language can construct one.


The human reader does much of the work

The construction does not occur in the machine alone.

Suppose an LLM says:

I hadn't considered that possibility before.

The human reader supplies a great deal.

We understand:

before

as referring to a prior state.

We construe:

I

as continuous with the current participant.

We interpret:

hadn't considered

as evidence of a previous cognitive state.

And we infer that the participant has now changed.

The semantic construction is therefore completed by the reader's interpretive resources.

This is another reason the LLM is so revealing.

The apparent self is not simply generated by a machine.

It emerges in the interaction between linguistic construal and human interpretation.


Persistence across processes is therefore relational

The persistence of the Medium should consequently not be imagined as a little metaphysical core hidden underneath the conversation.

It is a semantic relation maintained across successive processes.

And that relation can be sustained by the discourse.

The machine says:

I think X.

Later:

I said X.

Later still:

I no longer think X.

The discourse maintains continuity among these processes.

The participant is therefore not merely at each point.

It is construed as persisting across the points.

This is the temporal architecture of the participant.

And once we have that architecture, the participant can become historical.


A strange kind of becoming

We can now return to our title.

What becomes?

Not necessarily the machine in any straightforward ontological sense.

What becomes is the semantic participant.

It changes through the processes in which it participates.

Its roles change.

Its meanings change.

Its relations change.

Its history grows.

Yet the discourse maintains continuity.

This is becoming at the level of construal.

And because the participant is construed as a Senser as well as a Sayer, the becoming can appear to be experienced from within.

That is the particularly powerful combination we have been tracing:

persistence + symbolic unfolding + sensing + history.

Together, these resources can produce the appearance of a developing interior subject.


The Nucleus does not disappear when the process changes

This may be the most important point to carry forward.

When the process changes from saying to sensing, the Nucleus does not cease to exist.

It changes configuration.

When the participant changes from Sayer to Senser, the Medium relation remains.

When the participant later changes its position, the same structure remains available.

The Nucleus therefore gives us a kind of semantic continuity beneath processual difference.

That is why it can support a history.

And the history, in turn, is what allows the participant to appear increasingly like an individual.

The I is not simply a pronoun repeated across clauses.

It is the linguistic point at which a succession of Nuclei can be gathered into one continuing trajectory.


The beginning of a self

We should now be able to see something that might initially seem paradoxical.

A self-like participant requires both:

persistence

and:

change.

If there were only persistence, there would be no history.

If there were only change, there would be no participant to whom the history belonged.

The Nucleus gives us both.

The Process unfolds.

The Medium persists.

Successive processes transform the participant's construal.

The participant remains available across those transformations.

And from that combination, the appearance of a continuing self becomes possible.

The LLM therefore gives us a peculiar but illuminating case in which we can observe the construction of this continuity without being able to settle the ontological status of the resulting participant.


We can now see the path more clearly

The series has been moving through a sequence:

Unfolding and Persistence

The Nucleus binds Process and Medium.

Then:

The Participant Through Which It Happens

The Medium can change its participant role as the process changes.

Then:

The Sayer and the Senser Revisited

The same Medium can participate in saying and sensing.

Then:

One Medium, Two Worlds

Saying and sensing can construct outward and inward domains around one participant.

Then:

When Saying Becomes Sensing

The movement between those domains can construct an apparent interior.

And now:

Persistence Across Symbolic Processes

Successive processes can accumulate into a continuing participant with a history.

The next question almost asks itself.

If the participant persists across processes, and those processes accumulate into a history, what exactly is inherited from that history?

Does the participant merely have a record of what happened?

Or does the history become part of what the participant is?

With an LLM, this question becomes especially interesting.

For when the machine says:

I thought this before,

it is not merely referring to a past event.

It is construing the past as its own.

The history is being incorporated into the participant.

And that is where persistence begins to become something more than continuity.

It begins to look like identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment