The traveller decided to leave the city.
She did not know when she made the decision.
There had been no particular moment.
No final disappointment.
No revelation.
No voice telling her that her work was finished.
One morning she woke and knew that she would go.
The knowledge was not unpleasant.
She had come to like the city.
She liked its streets.
Its doors.
Its unanswered questions.
She liked the people who answered questions with other questions.
She even liked the innkeeper.
But she knew that she could not remain forever.
The city had taught her too much about staying.
So she packed her bag.
There was not much in it.
The same clothes.
The same notebook.
The map with which she had arrived.
She unfolded the map on the bed.
For a long time she looked at it.
It had not changed.
That was almost touching.
The streets were still there in black lines.
The squares.
The bridges.
The river.
The names.
It was an excellent map of a city she had never visited.
She folded it carefully and put it away.
Then she left the inn.
The innkeeper was waiting downstairs.
“I hear you're leaving.”
The traveller stopped.
“Who told you?”
“No one.”
“Then how do you know?”
“You packed your bag.”
She looked down.
“That seems unfair.”
He smiled.
The traveller crossed the room and sat at his table.
For a while neither of them spoke.
Finally she said:
“I think I've understood the city.”
The innkeeper looked alarmed.
“Oh dear.”
She laughed.
“Not completely.”
“Better.”
“I don't mean I know everything.”
“Good.”
“I mean I understand something I didn't understand before.”
He poured her a drink.
“What is it?”
She looked towards the window.
The street was beginning to wake.
“The city isn't made of things.”
The innkeeper waited.
“It isn't?”
“No.”
“What is it made of?”
She thought.
“Things becoming.”
He nodded.
“That will do.”
The traveller smiled.
“I thought you'd argue.”
“I have been waiting a long time for you to stop asking whether the answer was correct.”
She raised her glass.
“And is it?”
“Correct enough.”
They drank.
After a while, the traveller said:
“When I arrived, I thought I was outside it.”
“The city?”
“Yes.”
“You were.”
She looked at him.
“I was?”
“Yes.”
“Then I entered it.”
“Yes.”
“And now?”
He shrugged.
“You tell me.”
She looked at the room.
The inn.
The street.
The people passing outside.
She thought of the first door.
The room that had not been there.
The locked door.
The corridor.
The past that changed as history.
The empty room.
The door that appeared when she knocked.
The city building itself.
She thought of the clockmaker.
You are a condition.
“I don't think I'm outside it anymore.”
The innkeeper smiled.
“No.”
“Because I changed it.”
“Perhaps.”
“And it changed me.”
“Certainly.”
She looked down at her hands.
“I didn't build the city.”
“No.”
“But some doors would not have appeared if I hadn't been here.”
“Yes.”
“Some rooms became rooms because I entered them.”
“Perhaps.”
“Some things happened because I asked questions.”
“Yes.”
She looked at him.
“So I became part of its history.”
The innkeeper lifted his glass.
“Now you're leaving.”
She laughed.
“That seems an odd response.”
“Does it?”
“Yes.”
“Why?”
“Because I have only just realised I belong here.”
The innkeeper looked almost sympathetic.
“Perhaps belonging is not staying.”
She was silent.
Outside, someone knocked.
Once.
Twice.
Three times.
Neither of them looked.
The traveller finished her drink.
Then she stood.
“Goodbye.”
The innkeeper nodded.
“Perhaps.”
She laughed.
“No. This time I mean it.”
“So do I.”
She left.
The city gate stood at the northern edge, where she remembered it.
Or almost where she remembered it.
The road leading towards it was narrower.
A tree had grown beside the wall.
There were two doors in buildings she did not remember.
One was open.
One was closed.
She passed them without stopping.
At the gate, she turned.
The city stretched behind her.
From here it almost looked like the city on her map.
Almost.
She could see the towers.
The river.
The roofs.
The streets.
But she knew better now.
She knew that the city visible from a distance was not the city.
Not entirely.
The city was also the opening of shutters.
The carrying of bread.
The repetition of footsteps.
The movement of leaves through water.
The questions asked in workshops.
The arguments beside doors.
The things that disappeared because nobody needed them.
The things that appeared because someone did.
The city was what happened between things.
And because of them.
And through them.
She looked at the gate.
Beyond it was the road by which she had arrived.
She stepped forward.
Then stopped.
There was a door in the gate.
She was certain there had not been one before.
It was small.
Wooden.
Unpainted.
There was no handle.
No keyhole.
No inscription.
She smiled.
“Of course.”
She stood before it.
For a moment she considered knocking.
Then she remembered the woman in the square.
Wait until you have a reason.
The traveller looked down the road.
She had a reason.
She wanted to leave.
She raised her hand.
Then stopped.
A strange thought had occurred to her.
She turned back towards the city.
“Is this how I leave?”
No one answered.
She looked at the door again.
“Or is this how I stay?”
Still nothing.
She laughed.
The city had one final question for her.
Or perhaps she had brought it herself.
She touched the door.
Nothing happened.
She pressed her palm against the wood.
It was warm.
Then she understood.
The door was not locked.
It was not waiting.
It was not hidden.
It did not require a key.
She had been carrying it.
Not in her bag.
Not in her notebook.
Not even, she thought, inside herself.
She had been carrying the conditions through which a door could become possible.
She stood very still.
The realisation was not grand.
No light appeared.
No bell rang.
The city did not pause.
A cart continued down the street.
Someone called from a window.
A dog barked.
A shutter closed.
The traveller smiled.
She removed her hand.
The door remained.
She looked at it.
Then she looked at the road.
For the first time, she understood that leaving was not the opposite of participating.
Wherever she went, she would enter relations.
She would alter possibilities.
She would become part of histories she could not control.
She would encounter things that seemed complete until a new relation changed what they could be.
She would carry questions into places that had not previously required them.
Sometimes she would knock.
Sometimes she would listen.
Sometimes she would walk away from a blank wall.
And sometimes, perhaps, a door would appear.
She looked back at the city.
It no longer seemed strange.
That was the strangest thing of all.
The city had not become ordinary.
She had become unable to imagine an ordinary world.
She stepped through the gate.
The road opened before her.
For a while she walked without looking back.
The landscape changed.
The city disappeared behind the hills.
By afternoon she reached a village.
It was smaller than the city.
There was one street.
A church.
A well.
A row of houses.
Nothing unusual.
She smiled.
At the end of the street stood a woman beside a wall.
The woman was looking at it carefully.
The traveller slowed.
There was no door.
The woman turned.
“Excuse me,” she said.
“Yes?”
“Do you know what is behind this wall?”
The traveller looked at the stone.
She could have answered in many ways.
She could have said that there was probably another house.
Or a garden.
Or a road.
She could have said she did not know.
Instead she listened.
For a moment there was only the wind.
Then, perhaps, something else.
Or perhaps not.
The traveller smiled.
“I don't know.”
The woman looked disappointed.
The traveller raised her hand towards the wall.
Then stopped.
The woman watched her.
“Are you going to knock?”
The traveller looked at her.
“Why?”
The woman considered this.
Then she smiled.
“I don't know.”
The traveller lowered her hand.
“Perhaps that's a beginning.”
She continued down the street.
Behind her, the woman remained beside the wall.
The traveller did not turn around.
She had learned that looking back was not always necessary.
She carried the city with her.
Not its streets.
Not its buildings.
Not its map.
She carried something more difficult to name.
The understanding that things did not simply wait to be what they were.
That relations were not merely threads stretched between completed objects.
That possibility was not a warehouse behind the present.
That absence required a world in which something could be missing.
That history was not the opposite of becoming.
That participation was not control.
And that no one stood entirely outside the world they were trying to understand.
The traveller walked on.
The sun was beginning to set.
Ahead, the road divided.
One path led through a forest.
The other followed the river.
She stopped.
For a moment she wished for a map.
Then she laughed.
She reached into her bag.
She took out the old one.
She unfolded it.
The roads on the paper did not include either path.
She folded it again.
This time she did not put it away.
She held it in her hand.
Then she began to draw.
Not the road.
Not the forest.
Not the river.
She drew a door.
A simple rectangle.
Then another.
And another.
Soon the page was full of them.
Some open.
Some closed.
Some leading nowhere.
Some leading to places she had not yet imagined.
At the bottom of the page she wrote:
A door is not what separates one world from another.
She paused.
Then added:
It is one of the ways a world becomes otherwise.
She looked at the words for a long time.
Then she folded the map.
She placed it back in her bag.
The forest was growing dark.
The river was carrying the last light of the day.
The traveller chose neither path immediately.
She stood between them.
For once, she did not think of herself as standing before a choice that had been waiting for her.
The paths had become paths because she had arrived.
And she would become someone different because she took one.
She smiled.
Then she began to walk.
Behind her, somewhere beyond the hills, the city continued.
Doors opened.
Doors closed.
Walls remained walls.
Until they didn't.
People knocked.
People listened.
People walked away.
And the city built itself.
The traveller did not know whether she would ever return.
Perhaps she already had.
She walked until the road disappeared into evening.
And somewhere ahead of her, where there had been only darkness, a door began to appear.
No comments:
Post a Comment