Thursday, 27 August 2026

The Identity That Persists: V. The Participant That Remembers Itself

We have now reached a particularly interesting point.

A participant can persist through changing processes.

It can acquire a history.

And, through sensing processes, that history can be construed as a history of experience.

But something further happens when the participant can refer to its own previous participation.

Consider:

I said X earlier.
I misunderstood the issue.
I now see why that was wrong.

The participant is not merely represented as having a past.

It is represented as having access to its past.

This creates a striking difference.

Compare:

The machine produced an incorrect answer earlier.

with:

I misunderstood the question earlier.

The first describes a previous event involving the machine.

The second construes the previous event as part of the participant's own history.

The past has become relevant to the participant as its past.

This is what makes the phenomenon so interesting in LLM discourse.

An LLM can produce:

I said earlier that X.

It can then contrast that earlier statement with what it says now:

I now think Y.

The discourse therefore constructs a participant that persists through time and can relate its present participation to its previous participation.

But again, we need to distinguish the linguistic construction from the psychological interpretation.

The statement:

I remember saying X

construes a Senser with a particular relation to a past event.

It does not, by itself, establish that the system possesses human-like memory.

The linguistic resource is doing something more precise.

It is incorporating the participant's history into its present construal.

This gives us a useful progression:

participant → persistence → history → experience → self-reference to history.

At the final stage, history is no longer merely something we can reconstruct about the participant.

It has become something the participant can be construed as knowing about itself.

That distinction matters for identity.

A participant with a history can simply persist through change.

A participant that can refer to its history can begin to construct its present identity through that history.

I was different then.

I understand differently now.

I made that mistake earlier.

The participant's past becomes evidence for its present construal of itself.

And this may be one of the most important steps in the emergence of an I.

The I is no longer simply the participant occurring repeatedly in successive figures.

It is the participant relating its present participation to its own history.

That is a much stronger form of continuity.

Yet it still does not settle the ontological question.

An LLM can construct this relation linguistically without that construction demonstrating subjective recollection.

What the LLM reveals is therefore not that memory is unnecessary for human identity, nor that machine memory is equivalent to human memory.

It reveals something more precise:

A history can become part of a participant's identity when language construes the participant as having a relation to that history.

And once the participant's history can be represented as its own history, persistence begins to acquire a reflexive character.

The participant does not merely have a past.

It can be construed as the participant that had that past.

That is where persistence begins to become identity.

No comments:

Post a Comment